Dr Antonella Bancalari
Dr Antonella Bancalari joined the School of Economics and Finance at St Andrews as a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in January 2021. She is also a Research Associate at the Institute for Fiscal Studies and the Inter-American Development Bank.
Antonella completed her PhD at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), Department of Social Policy (2020) and holds a Master in Public Administration – International Development/Economic Policy from the LSE (2016). Antonella earned her BSc in Economics from Universidad del Pacifico (Lima, Peru).
Her research interests include Development, Public and Health Economics. Antonella uses applied econometrics and field experiments to understand the principles underlying effective public good/service delivery in low- and middle-income countries. She also explore ways to induce people to adopt welfare-improving technologies and behaviours.
At St Andrews, Antonella has taught EC4403 Health and Education Economics and EC2001 Microeconomics.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)1334 462439
- Twitter: @BancalariA
Publications and Working Papers
- “COVID-19 Vaccine Acceptance and Hesitancy in Low- and Middle-income Countries” (with J.S.S. Arce, J.S.S. , S.S. Warren, N.F. Meriggi, A. Scacco, N. McMurry, M. Voors, G. Syunyaev, A.A. Malik, S. Aboutajdine, O. Adeojo, D. Anigo, A. Armand, S. Asad, M. Atyera, B. Augsburg, M. Awasthi, G.E. Ayesiga, M.B. Nyqvist, E. Borisova, C.M. Bosancianu, M.R.C. García, A. Cheema, E. Collins, F. Cuccaro, A.Z. Farooqi, T. Fatima, M. Fracchia, M.L.G. Soria, A. Guariso, A. Hasanain, S. Jaramillo, S. Kallon, A. Kamwesigye, A. Kharel, S. Kreps, M. Levine, R. Littman, M. Malik, G. Manirabaruta, J.L.H. Mfura, F. Momoh, A. Mucauque, I.Mussa, J.A. Nsabimana, I. Obara, M.J. Otálora, B.W. Ouédraogo, T.B. Pare, M.R. Platas, L. Polanco, J.A. Qureshi, M. Raheem, V. Ramakrishna, I.Rendrá, T. Shah, S.E. Shaked, J.N. Shapiro, J. Svensson, A. Tariq, A.M. Tchibozo, H.A. Tiwana, B. Trivedi, C. Vernot, P.C. Vicente, L.B. Weissinger, B. Zafar, B. Zhang, D. Karlan, M. Callen, M. Teachout, M. Humphreys, A.M. Mobarak, and S.B. Omer) Nature Medicine 27:1385–1394 (July 2021).
- “Coordination and the Poor Maintenance Trap: an Experiment on Public Infrastructure in India” (with A. Armand, and B. Augsburg), CEPR Discussion Paper 16284 (June 2021).
- “Can White Elephants Kill? Unintended Consequences of Infrastructure Development in Peru,” Institute for Fiscal Studies Working Paper W20/32 (September 2020).